The Institute was built in 1922 in memory of villagers from the local area who fell in the first world war. The original constitution states that its function is "to serve as a village hall”. The Institute contains memorial plaques for both world wars and continues to hold the annual Remembrance Day march and service. The building and grounds are held in Trust and Managed as a registered charity by a local committee.
Copies of the Constitution (latest version 2005) and copies of the Indenture, originals and transcribed, (dated 19th June 1923) can be downloaded to view below.
Here is a copy of the original programme from the 1949 service for the unveiling and dedication of the war memorial tablet for the servicemen who were killed in the second world war.